Re: bugzilla.redhat.com vs upstream bug trackers

On 06/17/2013 07:57 PM, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
OK, so this post is going to be rather long and rambling, and
hopefully respectful, but I'm passionate about this subject (and
Fedora).

As am I.

  The tl;dr summary is that there shouldn't be a single
standard for what we expect of packagers, especially in the context of
what to expect when bugs are filed against their packages on Red Hat's
bugzilla.

I disagree and from my pov it should be.

But I agree that RHEL customers somehow expect the same customer treatment RHEL provides them for bug filed agains Fedora.

I filed a ticket with the board where I asked them to come up with and write a wiki page which clarified that for them ( RHEL customers ) but that ticket has been laying in that tracker for a about 2 years now without any kind of movement. ( takes them maybe half an hour for them to come up with and wikify it )

My view is that expectations are going to depend on the
criticality of the package to Fedora (kernel, installer, default
desktop stack) and the packager (are they being paid to maintain the
package in Fedora or are they volunteering their time).

It should not matter if you get paid or not for working on Fedora because in the end of the day this boils down to time and by that I mean the time you as an employee get paid to spend on maintaining your package in Fedora or the free time you have to dedicate to maintain your package Fedora however the time required to maintain the package properly in the distribution still remains the same.

We should be able to provide a minimum time it takes to just package and provided minimum maintenance on a component along with calculate the average maintenance time for an existing component in the distribution, which in turn should provide both the employer and or the volunteer with the estimated time he/she needs to spend maintaining the component per day/week/month in the distribution

Also, where some of us seem to be at odds is the definition of "proper
maintenance" for packages.  My definition:

1) Ensure that packages meet all of the packaging guidelines.
2) Fix packaging related bugs in a timely manner.
3) Incorporate new upstream releases, in accordance with packaging
guidelines (e.g. packages shouldn't be updated to a new major version
in a released version of Fedora).
4) Incorporate patches that fix security issues or critical bugs.

The only difference is that I would add step number five acting as the liaison between upstream and downstream for reporters which to me is unavoidable for a packager/maintainer from my pov.

In my view these expectations imply that a packager has some
involvement with upstream.  I think that the level of involvement is
going to depend on the packager and the package.  I don't think that a
hard and fast rule can be developed to cover every case without
becoming ridiculously long and complex.  Other than generally
encouraging packagers to become involved with upstream development it
should be left up to the conscience of the packager.

From my point of view If you are not involved with upstream ( at least subscribed to their mailing list and have a account in their upstream tracker ) you should not be maintaining package in the distribution but should instead just be maintaining it in a side repo.

In no way should packagers be expected to provide end-user support for
packages, be an expert in every aspect of a package, or be expected to
work with upstream to debug issues because the end user is unwilling
to do the work themselves (in essence becoming an upstream developer
themselves).

Agreed but at least they should know how to debug their own components which when I started the how to debug initiative a while back in QA revealed many of them did not even know how to do that.

OK, so with that out of a way, I'm hopefully going to respectfully (if
wordily) respond to Jóhann's comments.

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 10:55 AM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"