Re: rpm and config.{guess, sub} (was [aarch64 bugs] dpkg: Does not support aarch64 in f19 and rawhide bug #925276)

On 2013-06-17 16:43, Jerry James wrote:
On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 2:59 AM, Björn Esser <bjoern.esser@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I completely agree to this. Using `autoreconf -fi` in %build or %prep
should be mandatory in packages using autotools. This will surely avoid
lots of possible problems caused by just injecting config.{guess,sub} by
%configure.
That would only work if the autotools had perfect backwards
compatibility.  They don't.  I maintain multiple packages where
"autoreconf -fi" with modern autotools fails due to use of obsolete
macros.
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/

That said, this and related questions have been discussed in several threads over the years. The sad fact is that it hasn't been possible to find an agreement how to cope with autotools and that we thus havn't much about them in the guidelines.

 What are the chances finding common ground now?

--alec