Re: F20 System Wide Change: python-setuptools update to 0.7.x

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 11:43:50AM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 13:48:37 +0200
> Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > = Proposed System Wide Change: python-setuptools update to 0.7.x =
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Python_setuptools_0.7
> >
> > Change owner(s): Toshio Kuratomi <toshio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> with help
> > from Bohuslav Kabrda, Nick Coghlin, and the Python SIG
> >
> > Update to a new upstream release of python-setuptools that is not
> > completely compatible with previous releases.
> ...snip...
>
> Looks fine to me. I guess we could land this anytime in rawhide, no?

Yep.  I've built a few packages in a copr just to see.  So far building
seems to be pretty good.  The only problem I've encountered so far is
python-zc-buildout which is hardcoding a dependency on distribute instead of
setuptools ( I think that the merger brought in the features/bugfixes of
distribute that buildout needs but I have to take a look at upstream mailing
lists/etc to confirm and then coordinate with the python-zc-buildout
maintainer to deploy the change)

> Also, you don't expect any runtime problems with the new version do
> you? ie, if we land in rawhide, runtime should be ok for rawhide users
> until things are rebuilt?

That's part of the unknown.  So far, I've been testing a setuptools-0.7
package on my local F17 install and things are just working but there have
been changes and setuptools has a runtime component used by some packages
(numbers from repoquery are in the Feature page) so it is indeed possible
for runtime to be affected.

One encouraging note is that we've been running the distribute fork of
setuptools in Fedora for years.  Reading the upstream changelog, the merge
between setuptools and distribute caused a lot more changes to setuptools
than to distribute so it may be that we won't run into any problems here.

-Toshio