Re: Flock proposals now open for community voting

On 06/04/2013 10:22 AM, seth vidal wrote:
On Tue, 4 Jun 2013 10:16:22 -0400
Przemek Klosowski <przemek.klosowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 06/04/2013 10:02 AM, Tom Callaway wrote:
On 06/04/2013 09:55 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
What's even weirder is that some folks are explicitly mentioned
(such as Jon Masters) in the descriptions, so the playing field
isn't actually that levelled after all?
Only people who refer to themselves by name in their own abstracts
(or describe themselves in such a way that it is obvious who they
are) ended up like this. We honestly didn't think that was going to
happen.

This was an experiment. If it doesn't work, we don't have to do it
again.
In general, it's not surprising that the author often could be
divined from the abstract---after all, they are going to talk about
their own project (e.g. Lennart on systemd, Ajax on X driver
infrastructure, Dan Walsh on SELinux, etc). There just doesn't seem
to be a way to avoid that, and besides, past reputation does predict
future performance. It's for the editorial board to implement a
diversity policy by inviting the young'uns, if they wish so.

I disagree - this lets people judge proposed talks/sessions on what is
written.

I think it's a good idea and, if nothing else, it is just a
good trial. And that's enough.

-sv

It is a very common thing to do in the academic world (conferences like the USENIX FAST conference I am involved in do this).

The upside is that speakers who are not well known are given a chance to break in with a good proposal.

In the academic world, it does more good than harm I think.

It will be interesting to see how it works in the open source space :)

Ric