Re: Heads-up: rpm 4.11.1 rc1 in rawhide

On 06/10/2013 12:34 PM, Panu Matilainen wrote:

Hi all,

I normally wouldn't bother with heads-ups with maintenance release
updates but this one involves more changes than the average bugfix
maintenance update, in particular to address nasty performance
regression on spec parsing speed of certain (*cough* texlive *cough* ...
hi jnovy ;) very complex specs. On my laptop, 'rpmspec --parse
texlive.spec':

rpm 4.10.3.1:   15.6s
rpm 4.11.0.1:   32.8s
rpm 4.11.1-rc1:  3.2s

I'm not aware of any regressions but just in case... keep an eye on your
rawhide builds (especially wrt macro behavior and dependencies) and
please report any new anomalies asap.

Oh, one other thing related to macros: rpm now issues a warning when defining some ambiguous / possibly invalid macro names. For example lvm2.spec has

---
%define util-linux_version 2.22.1
%package -n device-mapper
Requires: util-linux >= %{util-linux_version}
---

[pmatilai@localhost ~]$ rpm -q --requires device-mapper|grep util
util-linux >= %{util-linux_version}

What actually happens is that rpm defines a macro named "%util" with a body of "-linux_version 2.22.1". Which quite obviously is not what was intended here, but has been previously silently processed. 4.11.1 doesn't change the actual behavior but issues a warning on such constructs to hint that the result might not be what you expect:

[pmatilai@localhost ~]$ rpm --eval "%define util-linux_version 2.22.1"
warning: Macro %util needs whitespace before body

In this case the warning is for a good reason, but if you see this warning issued on what you think is a legal use, let me know.

	- Panu -