Re: Bad file access on the rise

On Fri, 07.06.13 20:21, Miloslav Trmač (mitr@xxxxxxxx) wrote:

> AFAICS this can be solved by a ~100-line? patch to the pulseaudio
> ecosystem, or by doing much more work and coordicnation to design a
> different shm mechanism or a new shm namespace.  I'm not planning to
> work on it so I suppose my opinion has little weight, but this doesn't
> seem like a difficult decision at all.

This is not that easy. In the PA protocol we pass around triplets of
numeric SHM segment IDs, offsets into the SHM segment plus a
length. That's all there is. If we cannot access one of these segments,
that's something the kernel should tell us, and we shouldn't have to
pass any additional (and most likely incorrect) meta data around about
that...

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.