Re: Paralell startup

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Dan Williams wrote:

On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 18:10 +0200, Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:
I am hearing much good from the gentoo camp about paralell startup, and
how it brings down boot times to about 30 secounds. Is this possible to
do with fedora as well?

Yes, and we should do it. However, it requires lots of changes to the initscripts :)

There are a number of projects that have done parallel startup on *NIX
machines.  I believe one or two of the BSD variants use parallel startup
and dependencies in their scripts.  Seth Nickell has some writeups on a
new startup script architecture as well.

OSX does it. Nice fast boot, but painful at times when you can't figure out why X won't work until you watch the bootup carefully to see ABC haven't fully started yet and X depends on A.

Not that I'm against it, it's just a bit of a radical shift, esp
considering the very large amount of non-parallel initscripts that are out
there that might need changing.

Is this covered in/by the LSB in any way?  That seems like the place to
really have this particular fight.

-n

nathan hruby <nhruby@xxxxxxx>
uga enterprise information technology services
production systems support
metaphysically wrinkle-free