Re: Arduino firmware permissible to include?

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 9:25 AM, Peter Oliver <lists.fedoraproject.org@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Without access to the build scripts (which the GNU GPL2specifically says must be included), do we even have a licence to redistribute the firmware?

It looks like the "build scripts" are provided in the form of AvrStudio project files.  But I think there's a bigger problem here: are you sure that the firmware is GPLv2?  It looks like the firmware is under this license[1].  A closer look at that license is probably warranted.  The redistribution rights granted look like they're predicated on the purchase of an Arduino, I don't know what that means for Fedora project redistribution.  The reverse engineering clause is kind of odd since all of the source is included.

The github repo linked seems to match the wifi shield files in the arduino 1.0.5 source distribution (in the folder arduino-1.0.5/hardware/arduino/firmwares/wifishield)

Rich

[1] https://github.com/arduino/wifishield/blob/master/firmware/wifi_dnld/src/license.txt