Re: Software Management call for RFEs

Jan Zelený wrote:
> what are the changes that you would like to see in the foreseeable
> future (say 2-3 years) and why would you like to see them (what would they
> help you with)?

Dare I say ... (puts on a helmet) ... Recommends and Suggests?

We really should have a way for Yum and Packagekit to say "Hey, if
you're installing that, maybe you also want this?". A -devel package
and its corresponding -doc package should recommend each other for
example. They shouldn't require each other, because then they could
just as well be the same package, but usually you want to install them
together and it would be helpful to at least notify users who install
the -devel package that the -doc package also exists.

Another example is a database server and its command line client, which
you often but not always want to install together. The server should
recommend the client, while the client might only suggest the server.

A third example is graphical administration tools for some daemon that
are in a separate package so that the daemon can be installed without
pulling in half a desktop environment. In this case the daemon should
suggest the tools, but perhaps not recommend them.

Björn Persson