Re: Soname bump libpng (rawhide) - new libraries libpng.16.so and libpng16.so.16.2.0

On Wed, 2013-05-22 at 11:01 +0200, Petr Hracek wrote:

> >> The issue is that once this is in, all the 306 packages above will have
> >> broken dependencies. And it's not just simple rebuilds that are
> >> required; we'd need _ordered_ rebuilds in dependency order: build deps
> >> that require the old libpng can't be installed in the koji build roots
> >> without rebuilding them first. And this means individual package
> >> maintainers can't fix their packages before someone has fixed things
> >> down in the dep chain.
> > The way it was done last time on the 1.5 upgrade was to have a
> > compat-libpng package that had the 1.5 release so that nothing broke
> > while things were rebuilt and then once the vast majority of the
> > rebuild happened it was then dropped to avoid this problem.
> >
> > Peter
>
> well but when side tag is used then no compatibility package is needed
> Rawhide will not be broken in that case.
> I think that there are two ways how to handled that issue:
> - create side tag and after finishing merge changes into the rawhide
> - create a compatibility package in rawhide and when migration will be
> done that compatibility package will be dropped.
>
>  From my point of view side tag is better to handlling.

Either works. The drawback of a side tag is that it's slightly more
complex to work with. The drawback of a compat library is the lack of
motivation to complete the migration: there's a danger when you
introduce a compat library that there isn't sufficient motivation for
people to migrate their packages to the new library, because hey,
everything works, right? What's the big rush?

I think we've got into situations in the past where we've had to retire
a compat library before everything was migrated off it, just to force
people to _actually migrate things off it_.

But both approaches work, and both are massively better than just
breaking half of Rawhide :)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey