Unpacking SRPMs

I'd like some scriptable way to unpack SRPMs up and including to the %prep stage. Ideally, the results would end up in a directory I specify, and intermediate directories which only contain a single subdirectory are skipped. (The eventual goal is to run two such directory tress through diff -uraN, and I want to avoid spurious differences due to an update from foo-1.2 to foo-1.3.)

I've already learned the hard way that I need to use something like mock because some %prep script assume that build requires are installed. But mock does not appear to support an option to stop after the %prep stage.

Unpacking SRPMs seems to be fairly common operation. Has something like this already been implemented?