Re: when startup delays become bugs

On May 15, 2013, at 9:53 AM, Jeffrey Bastian <jbastian@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 05:58:42PM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> And avahi doesn't play nice with the localdomain extension anyway.
>> Without the extension I ssh into boxes just like I do from Windows or
>> OS X:
>>
>> ssh chris@f19q.local
>>
>> Whereas if I change the hostname to f19q.localdomain, to ssh into the
>> system now I have to use a non-obvious, nonstandard:
>>
>> ssh chris@f19q.localdomain
>

> Hmm, that doesn't seem right.  I have a .localdomain on all my hostnames
> and Avahi and mDNS work just fine with the special .local domain.

The mDNS issue likely needs a separate thread in any case, as something is definitely not right with a very basic 3-4 computer, tablet, phone and router with open source firmware. I consistently get the Macs to work with each other (bidirectional ssh and scp, using merely chris@ming). I can ssh into Fedora computers using chris@f19 or chris@f19.local. But I can't do this from Fedora computers with an installed system, it only works when booted from Live media.

So upon installation, something isn't right.

The .localdomain addon doesn't make sense to me, it's a convention not used on Windows or Macs. On OS X, I can't even add it as an extension. The period is removed and localdomain is just part of the static hostname, i.e. ming.localdomain becomes minglocaldomain.local.

So this could be part of the problem, except that from F19 Live media I can ssh to chris@ming, but from an installed F19 system I can't; but the Mac can ssh chris@f19 even without an extension if that's what I've set as the static hostname.

*shrug* So I don't know what's going on, I'll do more testing and start a separate thread if I get stuck.

Chris Murphy