Re: New Fedora Tagger

On Tue, 2013-05-14 at 09:59 +0200, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> On 05/14/2013 05:32 AM, Ralph Bean wrote:
> > It is a webapp that allows users to upvote/downvote tags on packages as
> > well as rate packages themselves.  The data will end up getting pulled into
> > yum repo metadata by the bodhi masher and into the Fedora Packages[2]
> > indexer to improve search results.  Fedora Tagger is also one of our
> > first attempts at "gamification".  You earn "points" by voting and rating
> > and there's a leaderboard on which you can muscle for first place(!)
>
> What problem is trying to address this app?
>
> OK. We will have database of packages and tags. And we will be able to
> generate leaderboard for each tag. Will be able to make some conclusions
> from this? I'm afraid that the answer is "no".
>

> Personally I would rather have something like popcon [1] for Fedora.
> Even that lots of Debian people are not participating in popcon, still
> lots of them do that. And it provides statistically significant sample
> of installations. And can be used for decisions which packages will be
> removed from installation DVD; which architecture is most used etc.
>
> [1] http://popcon.debian.org/

>From this link I do not think popcon allow you to "tag" a package. Tags
that can then be used to search for packages of interest or filter a
list of packages.

This is the goal of tagger, providing meta information about the package
to allow easier search/filtering and provide a nicer user experience.

>From what I can see popcon would relate more to our old smolt where we
were trying to get a picture of what our users are installing (and in
the case of smolt, on which hardware).

The game aspect of tagger is just to encourage people to participate.

Pierre