Re: Idea: "{Gnome,KDE,Xfce,...} Minimal Desktop" groups

On 29.04.2013 19:21, Michael Scherer wrote:
Le lundi 29 avril 2013 à 16:58 +0200, Sandro Mani a écrit :

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Rich Mattes <richmattes@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 9:07 AM, Sandro Mani
         <manisandro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
                 So, what about creating groups for the various desktop
                 environments which pull in basesystem + xorg + mesa
                 drivers + displaymanager + bare desktop shell?
Do the groups already provided in comps.xml[1] not work for
         this task?
Currently, one can use yum's groupinstall option to install
         the gnome, kde, xfce, lxde, mate, and cinnamon desktops and
         desktop environments.
Rich

Well, those groups are not exactly minimal.
But minimal is not well defined. We have tried that at Mageia, and what
i can say :
- no one agree on what minimal mean
( cause everybody want something more later, or there is people
complaining that minimal is too minimal )
I would define minimal as the absolute minimal set of packages which allows the shell to load. This resulting setup is not meant to be usable without the user installing additional packages he or she wishes. So such groups would not be meant for "normal" users (whatever that means), but for developers and power-users which want to build up their setup from the bottom up.
- having minimal and non-minimal just confuse users, which were the
primary target of having groups in the first place.

So that was not working that well.

So before asking for that, you should define minimal in term of features
( ie, not in term of packages, cause that's already too low level and
was the cause of misunderstanding, because people didn't define the use
case others than "I want to have this installed cause I said so" ).

IE, what do you expect to work and what shouldn't.
Because in the end, if what you want is just "kwin" or "gnome-shell",
then just install them.
Well, that's what I usually do, but it still takes lots of time to figure out various other packages (which might very well be dependency bugs in the packages) which are missing. And generally the installation of such packages does not include core components of the graphical stack as dependencies (xserver, drm, mesa). Indeed, on my not-overly-minimal KDE setup, the package-cleanup --leaves --all list includes mesa-dri-drivers.

Something we could do is to have a specific provide for each session,
like "yum install session(gnome)" that would take what is needed to have
"gnome" in *dm listed as a choice, and i think that would fit the
definition of minimal.
As long as the session loads correctly, I perfectly agree!