Re: Is Raspberry Pi firmware still unsuitable for Fedora?

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 2:03 AM, Adam Goode <adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is the Raspberry Pi firmware now ok to be packaged in Fedora proper?

Yes

> It looks like the Fedora guidelines for firmware can now include RPi stuff.

They now include ARM stuff and things like firmware required to boot a
device like the RPi needs.

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:Main#Binary_Firmware
> https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/blob/master/boot/LICENCE.broadcom
>
> Yes? No?
>
> This is all that is keeping Raspberry Pi as a remix, correct? Or still
> waiting for full kernel upstream? (Let's ignore armv6hl stuff for
> now.)

Yes and no. F-18 is out so there won't be any more supported official
builds / HW platforms. For F-19+ the only HW that is being supported
is ARMv7+ as the amount of <= ARMv6 devices is shrinking as ARM have
officially EOLed those chip designs and are encouraging manufacturers
to move to one o fthe Cortex-A* chips.

Seneca have a project to do a complete bringup of armv6hl for the RPi
but I've no idea of the state of this and they appear to be doing it
behind closed doors. They don't really communicate the status and
while I remember an alpha image for it being thrown over the fence
I've not really seen anything else of late and have no idea if the
koji instance is public or not.

Peter