Re: Trimming (or obsoleting) %changelog?

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 11:30:20AM +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> Is there any guidance as when to trim %changelog down to size? Some
> packages have thousands of lines of spec file dating back over 15
> years which seem kinda redundant now we're using git.

I believe we've had this discussion before but I don't have a link handy.  I
think that people said they liked historical information to know when a bug,
feature, or fix might have entered into a package (where people being end
users, people who are primarily users, not packagers, even packagers who are
looking at packagest hat they don't own).  However, people did seem to agree
that there was a cutoff somewhere in the past where they no longer cared.

If I remember, I tend to trim off changelog entries that are more than two
years old once a year for packages that I own.  Two years is twice the
length of a Fedora EOL cycle and since it grows to three years during the
interim, that seems a reasonable distance in the past for people trying to
get a quick glimpse of when something might have changed.

-Toshio