Re: Expanding the list of "Hardened Packages"

On Mon, 2013-04-15 at 09:12 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> which I interpret to mean that after using -fstack-protector-all and
> removing prelink, SELinux would become obsolete because no executable
> can be exploited.

No; there are plenty of exploits which aren't due to buffer overflows.
Particularly in the era of web applications; a lot of people just toss
up a Django or Ruby on Rails app, but it's *so* easy in those frameworks
to have a bug that allows arbitrary code execution in the context of the
service.

SELinux is a good match for these sorts of apps, we just don't
have the management tools and documentation to make it easy for web
application authors to use.