Re: package, package2, package3 naming-with-version exploit

Dne 4.4.2013 20:36, Colin Walters napsal(a):
On Thu, 2013-04-04 at 21:29 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:

  From technical perspective, there's zero need to change how
multiversion packages work. Its a widely used (at least both in rpm and
dpkg worlds) and well-understood mechanism to slap extra qualifiers at
the end of the name to achieve that. If you want pretty, human
consumable names and versions for things, that is an entirely different
issue that could be addressed without breaking the whole world. Comps is
one mechanism towards this, other possibilities could be adding separate
"pretty name" (and maybe version too) tags to packages and present that
to users when it exists. Or something.
This makes complete sense.  One thing I'd add is that given that
"package names" are unpredictable identifiers chosen arbitrarily by a
human at package creation time, we should be making more use of
provides.  So rather than talking about installing "git" the package,
you install /usr/bin/git.  Similarly for build dependencies, software
should require pkgconfig(gio-2.0), not the arbitrary "glib2-devel" name.

While I agree and like the idea of installing /usr/bin/git, I am afraid that virutal provides suffer the same issue as the package name, they are "unpredictable" the same way.

Vít