Re: Improving the Fedora boot experience

On 03/11/2013 02:21 PM, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 02:02:11PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 18:55:30 +0100
Alec Leamas <leamas.alec@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Fine with me, but don't forget to  have a hint to this key visible e.
g.,  "Press F1 to..." in some corner. Current
policy that user  just should know the key is not that good IMHO.
After all, this is the first screen a newcomer
meets. And thisis not only about the initial grub boot but also the
"main" boot process (and screen)  that follows.

I really do like the idea of a line which says:
"Press <some key> to see what's going on right now"
It creates a learning opportunity for new users and a relatively benign
way to present this info.
  “Press ESC for details” is fine. The only problem is that we have to include
half of graphical stack to render this text correctly.  And in correct locale.

Does the bootup screen require any keyboard other input at all other than escape to bring up the details? Would there be harm in allowing *any* keypress to bring up and hide the details, and not having a label?

cheers,
ryanlerch