Re: dial-up comps group?

On 3/7/2013 8:50 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
I see all the various desktop envs install the 'dial-up' group, which
has:

      <packagereq type="mandatory">ppp</packagereq>
      <packagereq type="default">isdn4k-utils</packagereq>
      <packagereq type="default">linux-atm</packagereq>
      <packagereq type="default">lrzsz</packagereq>
      <packagereq type="default">minicom</packagereq>
      <packagereq type="default">ModemManager</packagereq>
      <packagereq type="default">rp-pppoe</packagereq>
      <packagereq type="default">wvdial</packagereq>
      <packagereq type="optional">efax</packagereq>
      <packagereq type="optional">pptp</packagereq>
      <packagereq type="optional">statserial</packagereq>

I can see people perhaps using ModemManager (when they have some kind
of mobile broadband or the like), but do we need to install the rest of
that stuff on every desktop anymore?

kevin

In a word, yes.  The digital divide between urban and rural still exists, which means that broadband availability is significantly less in rural areas, leaving dial-up the only financially feasible alternative for many households.  This situation is exacerbated in physically large countries that lack strong national policy for high speed, high capacity Internet availability, so continued installation of what might be considered geriatric, if not actually primitive, technology continues to be necessary.

Ken