Re: /usr/lib/debug ownership

On 02/16/2013 12:47 PM, Panu Matilainen wrote:
On 02/16/2013 01:33 PM, Alec Leamas wrote:
On 02/16/2013 11:41 AM, Panu Matilainen wrote:
On 02/16/2013 11:44 AM, Alec Leamas wrote:
On 02/15/2013 11:58 PM, Till Maas wrote:
On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 10:50:28AM -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

- make a script to identify all the packages that are broken and
   shipping debug stuff.
AT least for the directory a simple yum call should suffice:
yum --disablerepo '*' --enablerepo fedora\*  whatprovides
/usr/lib/debug

But it shows that a lot (all?) debuginfo packages own the directory
which probably needs to be fixed in rpm itself.

Regards
Till
I have filed a bug against filesystem: BZ 911831.

I get 46 owners of /usr/lib/debug, that can't be all debug packages...

Shall we file a bug against rpm, saying that claiming the complete path doesn't really work? I see the problems here, if rpm shouldn't claim the complete path /usr/lib/debug/lib/whatever, the part to claim is more or
less arbitrary.

Multiple owned directories might not be "packaging purist clean" :)
but since -debuginfo packages are auto-generated and thus kinda
guaranteed to be non-conflicting, it's just the less ugly option when
the alternative is leaving empty directories behind. Which is what
would happen if -debuginfo packages didn't own *all* the directories
they put files into.

    - Panu -

Well, I try to be practical (believe it or not). This explanation looks
perfectly sound to me (although  it still seems inconsistent that
filesystem owns /usr/src/debug but not /usr/lib/debug).

Ah, didn't know filesystem owns some of the toplevel debug directories. Not particularly harmful but consistency rarely hurts.

I ran into this while automating some tests about directory ownership in
fedora-review. If we all agree that Panu's position is OK, I would be
more than happy to just exclude /usr/l{lib,src}/debug from the ownership
checks. With that we should be able to close this discussion.

However,  at least Kevin had other ideas. So did I, but I'm flexible and
have changed my mind  :)

I think Kevin was talking about "normal", ie non-debuginfo packages like the example case of nacl-devel owning /usr/lib/debug, which indeed is a (trivial) packaging bug. Except perhaps for the filesystem package which is fairly special case anyway.

OTOH because -debuginfo packages always own all the relevant directories there's no need for filesystem to own them, which would allow for a nice and clean rule: any non-debuginfo package owning the *debug directories can be considered an unnecessary multiple directory ownership (and a bug of sorts).

    - Panu -

Well, isn't the rule is actually simpler than that: any package owning a directory owned by another package is broken. It's just that we should not apply this rule to debuginfo packages, which are auto-generated and thus are OK by definition.

Perhaps it should might make sense to mention this in the guidelines, which as of now actually states that any directory is owned by exactly one package. This exception for debuginfo directories is not mentioned. It doesn't really matter when doing regular packaging, but it does make a difference when checking for guidelines compliance ...

--alec