Re: Should MariaDB touch my.cnf in %post?

On 02/15/2013 09:32 PM, Honza Horak wrote:
On 02/15/2013 3:31 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
On 02/15/2013 01:50 PM, Honza Horak wrote:
I still see the differences between MariaDB and MySQL to be very
little.
Difference never the less and difference in behavior ( which mariadbs
own benchmarking on their website proof ) which means every server
tweak
that has been done for the mysql host has to be redone to take
whatever
changes and features mariadb introduces.
Can you be more specific, what tweaks you mean?

Host + mysql optimization. It can take up to three weeks+ to properly tune mysql in real production deployments

upstart was never properly integrated into the distribution so it's
more
accurate to talk about sys V --> Systemd and my advice to any
distribution that thinks of making that switch to do so within one
release cycle and arguably systemd should never have had that
backward
compatibility ( to that certain extent it has  ) to sys V
implemented.

Doing so has caused users to expect sysv/upstart like behavior of the
init systemd as opposed to approach and embrace it as new technology.

That said neither systemd nor Gnome 3 are forks however mariadb is so
it
will ( as is the nature of all forks ) grow further away from it's
origin in time ( how fast that happens depends on it's maintainers ),
thus it should be treated as fork and a completely separated database
product that is *based* on mysql and packaged as such
It's possible, but I see that as another reason to do the switch to mariadb now, than later.

Yes but as long as mysql is available in the distribution that replacement migration should not take place from my point of view and when that migration takes place I feel that mariadb should have it's own mdb.cnf file in /etc/ and it's own directory ( which arguably is also inevitable that will happen the future ) which could just be symbolic links to their corresponding mysql file and directory and those links just removed in F21 to complete the replacement migration.

Well, in case we wouldn't obsolete mysql -- then either we could do
it
in F20 and have the same problem a few months later
Sorry not following as long as someone is willing to maintain mysql
in
the distribution we should not be dealing with any kind of potential
replacement migration.
The reason of replacement is not that nobody is willing to package mysql. The reasons were stated on the feature page:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ReplaceMySQLwithMariaDB

Yeah but at this point in time Oracle has not made that move and if we are doing it because that we are afraid that it will happen ( which comes as a no surprise to anyone if it does ) we should go all the way now in F19 ( instead of waiting for the inevitable ) and drop mysql from the distribution ( which FESCO has to decide on if should be done which is highly unlikely they will atleast I would be surprised if they did but then again I was surprised they approved the replacement migration in the first place ).

JBG