Re: Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Le lundi 04 févr. 2013 à 14:42:35 (+0100), Jan Kratochvil a écrit :
> On Mon, 04 Feb 2013 14:16:58 +0100, Martin Sourada wrote:
> > Big +1. What will an unsuspecting user think when he downloads, burns
> > and tries Fedora on 32bit machine? That it's broken,
>
> From what I have reports even Fedora 32-bit does not boot on such machines
> because nobody tests the bleeding edge Fedora kernels on such obsolete
> hardware.

Hi guys,
I think you are completely off-topic here. You are discussing about the
fedoraproject.org website design, with devels about the Cinnamon Feature
proposal...

This is a decent discussion that should appear on the websites mailing list. But
I agree, we won't ask everyone to register on every mailing list... Hyperkitty,
where are you? :)

So let's try to resolve that here. (moreover we want to refresh the websites).
First of all, we updated a lot the get-fedora-options[1] page, which is clearer
and includes more choices now. It's not perfect. Nothing is perfect. But
improving is the way to go.

The get-fedora default download page[2] is linked from the main page, on the
first slide when you ask to "learn more". The download button there gives you
directly the iso.

From the main page, on the righ side, you have the "full set of downdoal
options" who direct users to [1], the page that you guys prefer I think.
Yes, the Fedora banner on the right side (and from every websites including the
banner) link to the get-fedora[2] page. This was done that way to help people
getting Fedora right now, without having to choose between so many options.
People knowing options will look for them and find the right page. Which is
linked 6 times from there.

The page that I don't really find usefull is get-fedora-all[3]. It could be
included on the other ones. But guys like it. We already spoke about this with
Sijis.
But new input is welcome.

If you guys can come up with a clear and brillant proposal, we would be happy to
read it and apply it if better.

The idea is to only propose ISO that has QA, which are defined as possible
blockers from the main websites. spins.fpo of course show links to all available
spins.
That is not perfect. But we don't want to give too many choices to the users, we
want to be consistent between releases, and the new websites design was clearly
defined for the end user, and not for deep programmers. (That look for the alt
nightly ISOs).

For the 32Vs64 bits ISOs, we moved by default to 64 bits for F17 (as approved by
FESCo) because Fedora is a leading edge GNU/Linux distribution, we don't have
LTS and don't want to mainain software for the whole informatic history.
Mostly all Intel CPUs now are 64 bits. If the ISO does not boot, guys will have
to ask or read for help, and we provid(ed?) docs about how to check the CPU
arch. Regarding the doc, the were updating it with regards to UEFI. Not sure if
it is in prod, I have to check.

As requested, we removed the "most compatible" label for the 32bits, is this ISO
was not booting under UEFI.

What we should really add, is a nice page helping people to install (change) a
new DE after the default Fedora install. They should not really care about which
iso to download. If they have a good internet connexion, they should be able to
easily change their DE. Or install yum groups. In an other way, we should
provide a nice page to "get the spin" once they have installed Fedora. Or write
a simple app for that..?
Oh also, we try to feature a new spin everytime on the main slideshow. But we
can't print them all..

Any help appreciated of course.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-options
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora