Re: Proposed F19 Feature: Apache OpenOffice

Kevin Kofler wrote:
* What benefit does this package have over LibreOffice, to justify carrying
   2 packages doing essentially the same thing?

They are indeed two productivity suites, but they are evolving in different directions. There's a "Features" link in the proposal
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ApacheOpenOffice
that lists unique features of OpenOffice 4.0, including the new user interface (sidebar), the new accessibility support (a key factor for adoption by institutions), interoperability enhancements and performance improvements. Again, the proposal is not saying or implying in any way which of the two is better, and this might vary by user, or even by single task.

* OpenOffice is a huge package and a big strain on our build system (Koji);
   IMHO, having 2 versions of it would be a gigantic waste of resources.

This might be a legitimate technical concern. Honestly I didn't think that OpenOffice could be too big for Fedora, but I didn't see any limitations in the Fedora guidelines.

* [...] Apache OpenOffice is the fork Oracle created to remove control
   over the project from the community

These are opinions and belong to the past anyway. Again, this is not an educational thread about Apache OpenOffice; but a quick look at the current OpenOffice website http://www.openoffice.org/, blog http://blogs.apache.org/OOo/ and mailing lists http://openoffice.apache.org/mailing-lists.html is enough to understand that OpenOffice is an actively developed product managed by an active community (and also that the community is open, welcoming and very collaborative with other projects, even though these factors may count less in the current discussion).

PS: I wonder if there's any connection between this feature and the MariaDB
     feature (or rather, Oracle's negative response to it).

No connection at all. But anybody who can even think of this possibility should really get some up-to-date information about OpenOffice: the Apache graduation process isn't easy, and there is a huge difference between the project that graduated as an Apache Top-Level Project in October 2012 and the project that started incubation at Apache in June 2011. Is it totally unconceivable that Oracle or the MariaDB feature can influence the OpenOffice project as it is today: actually, I wasn't even aware of the MariaDB discussions on this list when I posted the OpenOffice proposal.

Regards,
  Andrea.