Re: Proposed F19 Feature: systemd features

On 01/31/2013 07:27 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
Hi

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 12:32 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"  wrote:

Have fun with your proposals and implementing them just dont mix the cron migration up with the timer units ( which has been there from the get go )...

You seem confused.  I don't have any proposals

Then stay out of this.

I already told fesco I would be looking into it as I was doing.

Somehow they got the impression that it meant migrating all the cron jobs which is not the case, which to me was obvious, to them apparently not so much.

It *only* might make sense for cron jobs that are accommodated by services/daemons.

There exist no infrastructure for users own cron jobs, no concepts of daily/weekly/monthly/.d/ where users can drop a file containing one liner, which makes timer units less attractive from users usability standpoint and systemd does not support having separated preset policy for different types of units. Timer units they should *always* ( or rather default to that with exceptions ) be enabled to get the exact cron like behavior.

And in the midst of me doing this research I have to have Bill Notting butting into my work ( and I know what that means ), trying to come up with his own list instead of simply asking me for the one I was looking at [¹] and consulting with me where I was with my findings and now he can just have at it and finish do it his own way., create those units and prep the necessary patches to the packages etc. since he's such an expert on the matter.

JBG

1. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Johannbg/Systemd/cron-migration