RE: Proposed F19 Feature: OpenAttestation

Bill Nottingham wrote on 2013-01-29:
> Jaroslav Reznik (jreznik@xxxxxxxxxx) said:
>> = Features/OpenAttestation =
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/OpenAttestation
>>
>> Feature owner(s): Gang Wei <gang.wei@xxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> Provide fedora packages for OpenAttestation to support Trusted Compute
>> Pools(TCP) feature in OpenStack since Folsom release & in future oVirt
>> releases.
>
> Wow, TCP is a horribly unfortunate acronym collision.
>
>> == Detailed description ==
>> This feature would include mostly packaging OpenAttestation project for
>> fedora.
>>
>> * the source package will be named oat
>> * the binary packages will include oat-appraiser & oat-client
>
> If you're attempting to create a framework that attests the integrity
> of systems for use by 'trusted' software, it would (in theory) only be as
> secure as its weakest link. Given that... PHP?

I am not sure whether PHP is the weakest link, but the integrity checking done
by OpenAttestation is to ensure the system is running the expected software
like BIOS/OS/etc. As to whether the expected software is secure enough it is
another story.

> How does it intend to attest the OS in a rapidly updating Fedora
> environment? Just the kernel + initramfs? An image-based checksum such
> as what is used in ChromeOS?

By far, just kernel + initramfs. Every time the kernel/initramfs got updated,
the Know Good Value in OpenAttestation Server should be updated to take new
kernel/initramfs as "trusted" one.

Jimmy