Re:

G.Wolfe Woodbury (redwolfe@xxxxxxxxx) said:
> > The kernel nowadays comes with built-in support for the vast majority of
> > all common storage hardware anyway, because AHCI is pretty universally
> > established. Outside of servers non-AHCI controllers practically don't
> > exist anymore.
>
> This is simply not true.
>
> There are hundreds of thousands of older desktops that are not
> technically servers that have lots of older interfaces.
>
> To say that non-AHCI controllers don't matter is to place a dignificant
> barrier to use or adoption of Linux or Fedora.

AHCI dates to before when RHEL 5 was released in 2007. We also build
in ATA_PIIX, which covers a large number of generations before that.

Does hardware exist that's not covered by this? Of course. However,
I'd also bet that those installing Fedora on that hardware are those
that are capable of rebuilding an initramfs if they move an existing
system to such hardware.

Bill