Re: Proposed F19 Feature: JRuby 1.7 - JRuby is an alternative Ruby implementation

Hello,
On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 7:58 AM, Bohuslav Kabrda <bkabrda@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]

That's definitely a valid use case; why is it better for the user to
run (./script/rails _jruby_) instead of (/usr/bin/jruby
./script/rails)?  The latter should be more portable, and requires no
effort to implement.

>> Changing the semantics of command-line arguments in unexpected ways
>> really worries me - it has security implications; e.g. creating a
>> file
>> named _jruby_ would change the semantics of running "my_script *".
>
> It's true, that it would run actually run _jruby_ and ignore the file, although I'm not sure what security risks that brings. Could you be more specific?

I don't really have a specific concern; it just doesn't "feel right"
to override application behavior this way (and, from a security point
of view, "composition kills" - having harmless corner cases in
packages A, B, C may mean that there is a vulnerability when A,B,C are
used together).

Looking at the rubypick script, it seems to actually override "-h",
which would be very user-noticeable.
    Mirek