Re: Proposed F19 Feature: NFStest

On Thu, 24 Jan 2013, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:

= Features/NFStest =
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/NFStest

Feature owner(s): Steve Dickson <steved@xxxxxxxxxx>

Provides a set of tools for testing either the NFS client or the NFS server,
most of the functionality is focused mainly on testing the client.

== Detailed description ==
NFStest provides a set of tools for testing either the NFS client or the NFS
server, including the framework for developing more tests. These tools include
the following:

   Process command line arguments
   Provide functionality for PASS/FAIL
   Provide test grouping functionality
   Provide multiple client support
   Logging mechanism
   Debug info control
   Mount/Unmount control
   Create files/directories
   Provide mechanism to start a packet trace
   Provide mechanism to simulate a network partition
   Support for pNFS testing
   Provide mechanism to automate packet trace inspection

For libreswan we use a system that generates various VM images using a
network install and libvirt, and then fires off multiple VMs, login in
over serial, and run various tests and output. Then we compare the
output with known good output. This includes a tcpdump of the network.
Additionally, we use 9p filesystem mounts to install updated versions
and read/write configs/logs, so we can still access binaries and write
logs even if IPsec has hosed full network connectivity.

There is nothing really specific to libreswan for this, and it could be
used generally for other systems that need to perform network based
tests.

It might be worth it to look at what we have already built and see if we
can stick to one version of a testing harness for multiple packages?

Paul