Re: drop inheritance at f19 branch point?

Dne 23.1.2013 22:38, Lennart Poettering napsal(a):
On Wed, 23.01.13 14:20, Kevin Fenzi (kevin@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

I know we have discussed this before, but I've filed a FESCo ticket to
ask them one way or another about the issue:

https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/1005

Feedback welcome. If you are a maintainer who doesn't have a minute to
do a rawhide build during the branched cycle, would you be open to
someone else doing those builds for you?
Oh, yeah, let's make it even more work to update a package. Because we
have so much free time, let's let humans do what computers could do
better.

After branching I usually focus pretty much exclusively on the
distribution that is about to get finished, and you can be sure I am not
interested at all in continously having to update that other distro that
I don't use, that barely anybody uses at that time as well. If you
really turn off inheritance that basically means you can be sure that
Rawhide doesn't get updated systemd packages at all anymore...

I very much agree with this.

I'd propose instead that mass branching goes away entirely, and the
"master" branch too. Instead, people focus developing on the branch
"f19", and then branch that off to "f20" when they are ready to, or
actually have to make a change that they wouldn't apply to "f19". Then 6
months later when they think that their "f20" package is in a good shape
for release and it is time to work on Fedora 21, they fork "f21" off
"f20" and so on. That places the focus on "polishing", and requires
manual branching when people want to make non-polishing changes, and
that's good that way. The only way "mass-branching" would then happen is
on gcc rebuilds, but the branching is merely a side effect then. Rawhide
would always contain the packages from the newest branch in the
repo.

And I disagree with this proposal.

It is mixed for me. Sometimes, I'd like to update in Rawhide, especially if the freeze is taking long, while in other cases, I need to do some bugfix in my packages which is found during testing and needs to be applied to both branches. In this case, the inheritance saves my work, while disabling the inheritance would always duplicate my work. So the current state is ideal from my POV.

Vít