Re: Proposed F19 Feature: systemd/udev Predictable Network Interface Names

On 01/23/2013 05:29 PM, Kay Sievers wrote:
What udev does here is the only sensible thing to do, if there is no
authoritative information from the firmware about that, we don't make
assumptions, we use the reasonable stable PCI geography. Guessing
around which might the "human" slot number should be avoided for many
reasons.

FWIW - I did a BIOS upgrade and reconfig on one of our machines and the PCI slot numbers as shown in lscpi changed for our SATA controllers. Caused a bit of panic when we ended up pulling the wrong drive. Perhaps the BIOS assisted names would have been more stable in this case for the ethernet names, I don't know.

I'm not trying to disparage this work, it seems reasonable (although I've been bitten by a lot of crappy software assuming network devices are named eth#, but it's able to be turned off, so meh). Just passing along a data point. YMMV and all that.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx