Re: Proposed F19 Feature: Fedora Upgrade - using yum

Le mercredi 23 janvier 2013 à 19:50 +0100, Lennart Poettering a écrit :
> On Wed, 23.01.13 18:04, Jaroslav Reznik (jreznik@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
> > FedUp is in fact yum-upgrade as well, but in dracut environment (aka off-line
> > upgrade). Some devels say that offline upgrade is only way. But on-line upgrade
> > is possible. E.g in Debian world it is even prefered method. In Fedora exist
> > upgrade using yum as unofficial method for long time.
> >
> > A lot of people are using upgrade using yum for long time and the "problem
> > ratio" was at least on pair with Anaconda upgrade. In fact most problems comes
> > from improper packaging. E.g. maintainer forgot to obsolete, so during upgrade
> > user get file conflict. Once these problems are reported and fixed the upgrade is
> > without problem.
>
> [...]
> It's OK if an RPM for this enters the archive, it's OK if people who
> know how to fix their machines use this, it's OK if people suggest this
> as hidden functionality. But I think it would be a big mistake for
> Fedora to advertise this as official feature, and to accept the support
> burden this creates.

Yet, there is enough people ( like you, like me ) using it. While I
agree that pushing this as fully supported in all cases do not seems a
wise move, maybe we could restrict to some use cases, like "upgrading a
lxc container with a minimal downtime", or sometimes like that, and see
how it goes.

And the more I think about, the more I think we should rather have a SIG
than a feature ( like the move of arm to PA ) :

- this need to have a specific set of ressources for QA, etc. We cannot
increase QA by magic and should not increase the workload of the current
team, but we cannot forbid to people to test what they want. So as long
as the interested people organize themselves, this would not be a issue

- this is a effort that must be sustained in time. So we need a team of
people to do it. IE, a SIG, not a Feature.

And if this permit to find bugs sooner, this is good because AFAIK fedup
use distro-sync as well.

And having a SIG permit also to direct people who want to do it to see
with the SIG, who can explain the caveats better than "this is not
supported" as it currently is.

If this work for Rawhide (since Kevin is IMHO on a good track for that),
it can work for that too.

--
Michael Scherer