Re: Proposed F19 Feature: Replace MySQL with MariaDB

Peter Robinson <pbrobinson@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Will it be designed to work with the alternatives infrastructure so
> that those that actually want mysql can swap it in/out?

No; we're specifically *not* interested in building alternatives
infrastructure.  It would be a waste of effort if we're going to stop
shipping mysql as of F20 (or maybe even F19 if things go well).

Almost certainly, we'll just make the mariadb and mysql packages
Conflict: so they can't be installed concurrently.  If we need to
make them be concurrently installable then that's a whole new bag
of hurt to deal with for only short-term benefit.  mariadb really
wants to plop down exactly where mysql was sitting: take over the
executable names, the library sonames, the data directory, etc.
Anything else will greatly complicate packaging and open the door
to added bugs.

			regards, tom lane