Re: Install from ISO file supported

On 01/20/2013 02:22 PM, Sergio Belkin wrote:
Hi Fedora community,

AFAIK fedup only works with DVD iso files not with LiveCD iso files:

I was reading the thread at http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2013-January/429113.html something interesting about it

ISO files are still useful, for example to test in a quicky way on a Virtual machine, but I don't know you, but I'm sick of burning
CDs....

I think that the best and more confortable method to upgrade the OS should be:

1. Download a LiveCD Fedora.iso (it takes less time than download the DVD iso file)
2. Launch  fedup --iso Fedora-LiveCD.iso, that make the job of adjusting GRUB2 i.a.
3. Reboot the system
3. Choose LiveCD entry from GRUB2) Perform the installation as you wish

And forget about of burning optical discs....

Of course this does not cover all cases, for example, you should preserve the partition where ISO image file is.

What do you think?

Greetings
Sergio Belkin http://www.sergiobelkin.com
Watch More TV http://sebelk.blogspot.com
LPIC-2 Certified - http://www.lpi.org

I find it easier (and smaller) to download the netinst.iso (like Fedora-18-x86_64-netinst.iso)
Loop-back mount and pull the vmlinuz and initrd.img into /boot, and create a grub or grub2
entry to start the install, adding additional options as desired (vnc display, kickstart file).
Create a simple kickstart file and adding additional repo's (who doesn't use rpmfusion or
some other add-on?) and mod the package list.  Then do a network install.  This has the
advantage of only downloading the most recent packages, and only the set desired.  Avoids
the  "initial install, then update most of the packages" syndrome that happens a few months
after initial release.  The netinst.iso also doubles as a rescue install, and you can put
a couple images (e.g. 32 & 64 bit) on a single USB stick.  I'm not locked into a "Spin"
and whether or not the packages I'm interested in made it onto the DVD.

I did several Xfce-only installs using this.  And a Gnome/KDE/Xfce/icewm joint setup using this
same install image.  A small kickstart file provides recipe for what you want.  I also avoid possible
confusion and manually format and label the partitions before I install.  This avoids mistakes
with anaconda over-writing partitions you don't want disturbed.  It's better to have have
anaconda fail to find your named partition (early) than to the have device ordering slip and
wipe something you wanted to keep.

Cheers,
-Bob Arendt