Re: Status to make btsfs to the standard filesystem of Fedora

On 01/16/2013 12:18 PM, Josef Bacik wrote:
On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 3:53 AM, Jochen Schmitt <Jochen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:Jochen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hallo,

    for Fedora 17 we had a feature to make btrfs to the
    standard filesystem of Fedora. This feature was defered
    because the fsck utitlities for btrfs was not available
    on the stable state for Fedora 17.

    So, I would like to ask, if there any plans to make this to
    a feautre for F-19. I think it may be sense to integreate
    this feature to the rewrite of the part of anaconde which
    is responsible for disc partitioning. In a article of the
    c't magazin (a german computer magazin) I could read, that
    this part of the new release of anaconda may be get any
    more love.

    Additionally, because I have read about an issue relating
    btrfs with LVM2 on this mailing list and lost the thread, I
    woould like to ask about the starte of this issue.

I'm waiting until Anaconda settles down before I pursue btrfs in Fedora again. Things change too much and Btrfs is too reliant on the anaconda part working properly to even bother trying to push it through at this point. Thanks,

In flurry of activity in the last days before Fedora 18 was final, there were a number of fixes made to anaconda to accommodate btrfs including being able to put root, boot, or root+boot and an btrfs subvolume as well as support for multi-device btrfs filesystems. While I am sure there is more to do, is is usable.

However, while I have a great interest in btrfs because of its potential, I do not believe that it is ready to be the default filesystem yet.

A bug which has not been filed in bugzilla is not a bug. A bug report in Fedora/RedHat bugzilla, which has not been reported upstream, is not a bug as far as the btrfs developers are concerned because they are not aware of its existence.

Gene