Re: Proposed F19 Feature: Package Signature Checking During Installation

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 8:41 PM, Adam Jackson <ajax@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> For the same reason Firefox doesn't automatically accept self-signed SSL
> certs, and the same reason that ssh doesn't automatically accept new
> host keys: it'd be creating trust from thin air.  With secure boot
> disabled there's no root of trust for verification.  You could verify
> that the signatures were _valid_, but you'd have no grounds to conclude
> from their validity that the signatures were the ones put there by The
> Fedora Project, and therefore that the package contains the data that
> The Fedora Project intended it to contain.  You'd only know that the key
> the repo says signed the packages did in fact sign the packages.
>
> That's not security.  That's theatre.

Let's be a little more precise.

- For _Fedora_ repositories (the release repository and the updates
repository), we *can* ship the public key inside the installer iso
image.  As has been established in this thread, authenticating the ISO
is necessary in any case; that would also provide a full "trust path"
to the Fedora repository and packages contained within.  No Secure
Boot required.

  Having this sounds like a nice security improvement that would IMHO
be worth doing.  I'd expect it to be a little difficult to make a good
UI for this: Wwe can enable GPG checking by default for the repository
configuration shipped on the ISO;  but if the user adds a repo
manually we would/would not want to enable GPG checking depending on
whether the repository is/isn't a "Fedora" one.  Also the UI of
explaining to the user that signatures are not verified if a
third-party repo is added would probably be tricky.

- For _third-party_ repositories, the root of trust can't come from
the installer iso image.  AFAICS _this_ is the primary benefit of the
Secure Boot support - it allows third parties to authenticate their
repositories.

  A caveat here is that it allows _any_ such third parties to
authenticate repositories.  Microsoft?  Accepted.  Oracle Solaris OS
group?  Accepted.  In particular - this is not clear from the feature
page - if any vendor that is able to sign MS drivers is included,
that's _quite a few_ third parties.  Realtek, who has had a signature
stolen by Stuxnet authors?  Accepted.

  So the Secure Boot chain of trust doesn't really allow you to
blindly install software no more than MS Authenticode allows you to
blindly run ActiveX plugins.  Still, it's definitely better than what
we have now.
   Mirek