Re: Feedback wanted: Fedora Formulas

On 01/09/2013 05:10 AM, Brendan Jones wrote:
On 01/08/2013 09:15 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
Greetings.

I've whipped up the early ideas of a way to replace (most) spins with
something that is more generic and useful. I have signed up for a
fudcon session to brainstorm on this idea and see if it can be beaten
into a plan/schedule/feature, or if it's not going to work for whatever
reason.

I have a very brainstormy/draft wiki page outlining the idea at:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_formulas

The short version:

Setup a infrastructure/framework around a collection of ansible
playbooks to allow our users to simply download a formula for what they
want to do and have a curated setup made for them using Fedora
packages.

Want a electionics lab setup? download. review. answer some
questions. click.
Want a LAMP stack? download. review. answer some questions. click.
Want a openstack demo cluster? ditto.
Want a graphics designer workstation? ditto.

Note that this assumes you have already installed Fedora, it's a post
install setup. This would mean that we should continue to do spins for
various desktops as people may way to install their desktop as a base
before adding on formulas.

Of course there's tons of details/questions to work out (many listed on
the wiki page, but I'm sure there are more details too).

So, what do folks think? Workable? Crazy? Crazy enough to work?
:)

kevin

Most spins don't do anything really special apart from install a default
set of packages. Maybe this is because of the limitations of kickstart,
I don't know.

Coming from the Fedora Audio spin here's a few things that we would like
to achieve that we can (mostly) from a kickstart:

  - add default groups for the liveuser and logged in user
  - add extra kernel boot parameters (threadirqs)
  - custom desktop themes, favourites, and desktop settings (turning off
desktop effects for example)
  - default autostart apps

The main problem we have with kickstarts at the moment is that there is
no way (according to current packaging guidelines) to alter files owned
by other packages. In the future we might like to choose different
pulseaudio modules to load, ALSA config based on hardware etc. I don't

This is probably not a good example as we could drop such config files in /etc/skel