Re: Proposed F19 Feature: NodeJS - The JavaScript runtime and associated ecosystem, including the npm package manager

On Tuesday, January 8, 2013, Miloslav Trmač <mitr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 4:12 PM, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> = Features/NodeJS =
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/NodeJS
>
> From Summary:
>> The Node.js JavaScript runtime and associated ecosystem, including the npm package manager.
> Could you describe more detail the interaction of npm and rpm
> packaging, please?

Not much different than e.g. Python's easy_install/pip and RPM.  You
can install packages using both RPM/yum and npm, and `npm install -g`
can possibly get you into trouble just like `easy_install` outside a
virtualenv can.

The upside is that Node/npm use a sort of virtualenv-by-default setup
whereupon all modules must explicitly provide their dependencies in a
"node_modules" directory.  System RPMs accomplish this by just
symlinking to the other modules, but developers working on their own
projects have the option of `npm install`ing the npm version of the
module or `npm link`ing the system version into their project.

>At least the "how to test" section suggests that
> npm will be the preferred packaging mechanism, which is different from
> how other language-specific packaging systems are treated.

It's only "preferred" right now in the sense that we can't possibly
package all 20,000+ modules in the npm registry in 6 months, so users
interested in Node will most likely have to get what they want via npm
for the time being.

Even if we did, developers will still want to use some featurtes of
npm for the reasons mentioned above.

>     Mirek

-T.C.