Re: Proposed F19 Feature: Package Signature Checking During Installation

On 01/08/2013 10:55 AM, Peter Jones wrote:
On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 03:52:02PM +0000, Petr Pisar wrote:
On 2013-01-08, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
= Features/PackageSignatureCheckingDuringInstall =
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/PackageSignatureCheckingDuringInstall

* Detailed description:
One long-standing problem in Fedora is that we don't check package signatures
during installation. This has been a persistent issue since the very beginning
of Fedora (and even in Red Hat Linux before it.) The reason for this has
always been that there's no way to form any root of trust for the signatures
in the repositories, and thus no reason they wouldn't have been modified along
with whatever package would need to be re-signed after tampering.

Reading till here makes me pondering how's possible rpm does not check
package signature.

Following the implementation of Features/SecureBoot, we can extend the Secure
Boot keys as a root of trust provided by the hardware against which we can
verify a signature on our key files, thus guaranteeing that they're from the
same source as the boot media.

Now it's clear it's about insttalling distribution. Not about installing
a package with rpm in general.

Could reponsible person change title and abstract to be clear it's about
_distribution_ installation?
Sure thing.

It's now at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/PackageSignatureCheckingDuringOSInstall
, and the title and description have been changed to match that.

What about repins? I want to add my own custom package that is not signed and create a new CD with a custom ks.cfg.
How would that work?

Thanks,

--
Stephen Clark