Re: What would it take to make Software Collections work in Fedora?

On Thu, Dec 06, 2012 at 10:50:03AM -0500, Mark Bidewell wrote:
I used to use Fedora as my primary OS (Now I use a Mac).  The major issue
which drove me away and which I believe SC would help to solve is that with
the current dependency model is that it becomes I want a new version of
Libreoffice so now I have to upgrade my entire system from the Kernel on up
(and by upgrade I mean clean install) to avoid issues.  SC would help
decouple system and userland apps which would do wonders for usability.

You're using a Mac now, so good luck.

But I'm pretty sure that software collections would not have helped
you to upgrade Libreoffice.  Which, by the way, is possible without
upgrading everything: just compile the later SRPMs.  In other words,
create your own backports repository, and find a group of people who
have the same problem to share the security and maintenance burden
around.

Rich.

In that case he might use gentoo ;-) On the other hand create a collection for LibreOffice and support it would be a lot of work.

Marcela