Re: What would it take to make Software Collections work in Fedora?

On 12/05/2012 04:04 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:

2) On a long-lived platform, Software Collections can provide a way to move
    faster than the base. On a fast-moving platform like Fedora, we could use
    it in the other way: providing longer-lived versions of certain
    components even as the base is upgraded.

That is a noble goal---it would be nice if it implied a long-term support commitment, but I understand that the Fedora Project does not have resources to support software older than the usual N-2. People who value stability over agressive development would still get some benefit from your proposal, but I think they would be better served by a true long-term support distribution (RHEL, Centos, Scientific, or (horrors!) Debian LTS)

Ceterum censeo, it would be nice if there was a smooth migration path off Fedora into one of these LTS setups, for those that can't upgrade for one reason or another. I know it's hard and/or impossible, but I just had to say again that it'd be useful.