Re: Rolling release model philosophy (was Re: Anaconda is totally trashing the F18 schedule (was Re: f18: how to install into a LVM partitions (or RAID)))

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 5:56 AM, Jiri Eischmann <eischmann@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Release parties and codenames were just examples. It's about the buzz
> around releases. You can check Google Trends where you find peaks in
> number of searches for Fedora after every release. Or fp.org monthly
> stats. You would lose reviews, that are usually published after
> releases, because I don't see any reviews of rolling release
> distributions by main magazines. Etc.

Documentation is another concern. It's hard to maintain static guides
with a rolling release. The Arch Wiki is a great resource to be sure,
but it's ever-changing and not easy to find old information if you're
not running with current. The guides that the Fedora Docs group
produce are a great resource for the community, and it would be a
major strain on our resources to keep up with rolling releases.

My personal opinion is that a rolling release might be nice (not nice
enough, apparently to use Rawhide, but that's more about laziness than
anything), but I'm not convinced it's what's best for the community at
large.

--
Ben Cotton
Fedora Docs Leader