Re: HEADS-UP: Transition to guile-2.0.x and a new compat-guile1.8 package

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> It causes problems for people who build things outside of chroots with
> straight rpmbuild, though, if they need to ever build different things
> with different buildreqs (even as test builds).
>
> Admittedly, we like to encourage people to use mock, but people will still
> hit this.

It also breaks building things directly from source, including as a
developer. We've had this issue with kdelibs3-devel vs. kdelibs4-devel,
where upstream didn't support parallel installation of -devel at all, and I
hacked things up to get that going exactly because of that. It would have
been really painful for developers of KDE software (including me!) to not be
able to have both -devel packages installed at the same time. You don't need
both for the same software, but a developer works on more than one piece of
software at a time.

And then there's also the case where something wants to build a subpackage
against, say, Qt 3 and another against Qt 4, we've had that case too (more
than once). And even one extreme case where gnash-klash was building the
Konqueror plugin (the KPart) against kdelibs 4 and the actual viewer
(embedded using XEmbed) against kdelibs 3, so it really needed both as a BR,
until the KDE 4 port of the viewer started working.

Conflicts should really only be a last resort, ESPECIALLY for libraries and
their -devel packages.

        Kevin Kofler