Re: Plans for anaconda LVM/RAID support

On Sun, 2012-10-07 at 12:10 +0200, Milan Broz wrote:
> On 10/07/2012 02:36 AM, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> > I'm sure that this information is somewhere on the Fedora Wiki, but my
> > search-fu apparently isn't up to the task of finding it.
> >
> > What are the plans for LVM and/or software RAID support?
> >
> > Currently (F18 Beta TC2), it seems to be impossible for those of us who
> > have fully allocated our storage to either (or both) of these
> > technologies to install Fedora 18 at all.
>
> Seems disk encryption (LUKS) is impossible to configure in TC2 as well
> (neither with LVM nor without LVM).
> Usually the installer crashes when trying any custom change, which seems
> to be known bug according to https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Work_List

Block device encryption support was added the same week as this post.

> Actually, I though beta should be feature complete for testing
> (ok, 2 days left still :-), did I miss some approved plan to remove extended
> storage features (like iSCSI) and LVM, RAID and LUKS installation
> from Fedora graphical installer support for F18?

LVM and MD support are both present and have been since the time of this
post.

> Al it seems to head to "write your kickstart script manually if you need such things".
>
> It means F18 GUI installation will be completely unusable for people
> requiring enterprise features but unable to write own kickstart themselves.

Such people need to either hire a sysadmin or fire their current one. If
you're doing things sufficiently advanced as to require enterprise
storage functionality you should have the capability to write a simple,
well-defined, well-documented plain text configuration file. Come on.