Re: Update to Binary Firmware Exceptions

On Wed, 2012-10-24 at 10:56 -0400, Tom Callaway wrote:
> Two minor exceptions have been added to the Licensing Guidelines:
>
> A new exception has been added to permit prebuilt binary QEMU ROMs
> implementing BIOS or Firmware for QEMU system targets to be packaged in
> those situations where it is not practical or possible to build them
> from source, as long as the corresponding source code is also included
> in the Source RPM package.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:SoftwareTypes#QEMU_ROMs
>
> The wording of the Binary Firmware exception has been amended slightly
> to permit the packaging and inclusion of firmware files which are
> necessary to boot Fedora on some devices (e.g. raspberrypi), as long as
> the standard exception criteria are met.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:SoftwareTypes#Binary_Firmware

I don't want to sound too alarmist, but these laser-focused changes
aimed at the Pi seem slightly worrying to me in the context of:

http://airlied.livejournal.com/76383.html

If the firmware is as useless and anti-F/OSS as Dave suggests, do we
really want to be letting it in? Should we be drawing a distinction
between the two kinds of firmware Dave identifies in his blog post?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey