Re: Fixing Puppet in Fedora/EPEL

On Tue, 23 Oct 2012, Lukas Zapletal wrote:

Fedora Infrastructure has begun using ansible for some system setup
and other orchestration/automation tasks.

Our (just beginning) public repos of it are here:

http://infrastructure.fedoraproject.org/cgit/ansible.git/

Just out of my curiosity, is Fedora Infra going to replace Puppet with
this, or you are planning to use these two technologies in parallel?

As we move things into our private cloud instance we need a provisioning system that: 1. doesn't have a bunch of painful dependencies that go on every system (ruby) 2. doesn't require us to provision our systems before we provision our systems 3. doesn't require some other other daemon or cron job running on the systems to maintain them

If it can take care of the needs we have I would certainly like to replace puppet. I do not speak for everyone work on the infrastructure team, but I am working on it as if our goal is replacement.

-sv