Re: [Test-Announce] Fedora 18 Alpha is hereby declared GOLD

On 09/17/2012 02:19 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
On Mon, 2012-09-17 at 16:37 -0400, G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:
On 09/17/2012 04:27 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
It's been suggested that we should stop using 'GOLD' when talking
about Alpha and Beta, and I think this is right. Only final releases
should be said to have gone 'gold' - this is how the term is generally
understood, and using it for Alpha and Beta releases confuses people
as to their status. Jaroslav, what needs to happen for the term not to
be used for F18 Beta and future Alpha / Beta releases?

I like the suggestion to use "bronze" then "silver" then "gold"

It's cute, but I think might read a bit bizarre in isolation. 'Ready for
testing' is terminally boring, but seems safe...

Although that somewhat conflicts with our release candidates of Alpha/Beta that are also "ready for testing".

Also, the point of marking something as GOLD was that it's ready to be staged for distribution. GOLD meant Gold Master, that is the master copy was produced and sent off to the duplicators. "Ready for testing" doesn't quite embody that same idea.

"Completed" seems to make some sense, the Alpha has been completed and is now being staged for release.

--
Help me fight child abuse: http://tinyurl.com/jlkcourage

- jlk