Re: Network configuration future

On 09/07/2012 03:34 PM, Dan Williams wrote:

And here comes the bigger question what is keeping all you networking
guys from simply combine all that effort and coming up with one single
network application that everybody can use happily from embedded to
servers to desktop?

There's room to work towards consensus on functionality, but at the
moment I don't see a lot of momentum towards a Grand New Unified Plan,
partially because that's how free software works.  It would be great if
we had one, and I'm certainly willing to entertain changes to
NetworkManager that make it more capable for anyone's use-cases.  Nobody
thinks NM has reached perfection, least of all me.

As someone who recently needed some pretty niche functionality if you ask me. I was amazed at the amount of help and open-mindedness of Dan. He helped me learn where stuff was in the tree, and gave me pseudo code. Walked me through some parts and spoon fed me other pieces of code necessary to make what I needed happen with NM. It was then merged into NetworkManager. Of any project that could potentially do all the things that are necessary, I'd vote for NM. It'd be a shame that the other projects couldn't work together towards a common goal. I can't imagine how it wouldn't be possible to get NM to the point where it does do everything one needs it to do. Especially with the lead developers it has.

My 2cents.
--
Nathanael d. Noblet
t 403.875.4613