Re: DisplayManagerRework: how can a DM do plymouth internally?

On Mon, 20.08.12 13:49, Bill Nottingham (notting@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> Daniel Drake (dsd@xxxxxxxxxx) said:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm porting olpc-dm to F18 /
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/DisplayManagerRework
> >
> > Thanks for the good documentation.
> >
> > The only detail that I'm unclear about is this one:
> >
> > # Add the following line only if the DM can do Plymouth internally
> > Conflicts=plymouth-quit.service
> >
> > What does it mean for a DM to "do plymouth internally" ?
>
> "Do plymouth internally" means the display manager handles interacting with
> plymouth itself, and the display manager itself telling plymouth to quit at
> the appropriate time.

Yes, precisely. This is simply about whether "plymouth quit" needs to be
called explicitly or is done implicitly by the DM. The latter enables DM
to do fancy flicker free transitions from the boot screen...

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.