Re: Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2012-07-23)

----- 元のメッセージ -----
| Our default font set for most languages, DejaVu, ships carefully
| designed
| hinting bytecode written specifically for FreeType's bytecode
| interpreter,
| and its designers explicitly ask for it to be used rather than the
| autohinter. (Some people dislike the font's look with the hinting,
| but it is
| how the designers intended it to look.)

Sure. I'm not saying that there are no well-hinted fonts in free fonts. I'd respect their efforts.

Anyway, as I planned to prepare some references for comparison, I've done and put them at http://tagoh.fedorapeople.org/tmp/hints/. all.tar.xz may helps to see all smoothly on your machine.

I used pango-view this time to avoid the out of alignment on taking a screenshot as far as possible for easy comparison and to reduce the workload. also disabled most fontconfig rules at /etc/fonts/conf.d to avoid the side-effects of them on this testing because the user fonts.conf can't override it if it's changed after 50-user.conf. and only picked up the fonts packages installed by default.

My feeling on this testing is fifty-fifty to determine which should be better for default. there are some fonts that hinting is totally broken, and partly broken that depends on the pixel size. of course well-hinted fonts and no changes because of maybe no hinting or using ttfautohint perhaps.
Having said, from any possibilities that there may be the case other fonts can't get a win to be default because of its quality (of course it may be not necessarily the case), I'm still thinking that enabling autohinting by default may helps a lot.

FWIW I'm about to add a feature of hinting related things in fonts-tweak-tool so even if something goes wrong for self-installed fonts by users say, they can change it easily as needed.

--
Akira TAGOH